How to change a kitchen tap is something we are asked all the time. We thought it would be a good idea to do an instructional video for you. You can watch it below. In this video we’ll be covering the double pillar or twin pillar kitchen tap.
Kitchen taps are used so often in the home and take alot of punishment throughout their lives. From time to time they will need changing. Hopefully our video above helped you out when doing this but if not read our brief description below.
Often you will need special tools to remove the tap and install a new one. In the video above we demonstrated ‘The Claw’ and two other types of tool. You can buy them here.
1. Turn off the water supplies to the tap – hot and cold. Often you will find the valves under the tap itself or in the airing cupboard.
2. Open the tap to make sure the water is off. Then remove the pipes from the bottom of the tap.
3. Once pipes are removed undo the securing nuts on the bottom of the tap. Once this is done the tap should lift away.
4. Repeat steps 1,2 and 3 in reverse with your new tap. Sometimes a new fibre seal or rubber ‘O’ ring will be needed to create a water tight seal.
5. Turn on water supply and test for leaks.
It isn’t the easiest DIY job in the home because you often have to get in tight spaces to do the job. It does however save you the plumber’s bill.