Many people call a plumber out to fix leaking taps. It really isn’t hard to do yourself. Just follow these simple steps that apply to normal taps, and mixer taps. You will need some general hand tools and tap washer kit.
Before you start it might help to watch this brief instructional video:
1. Turn off the water supply to the tap.
2. Remove the tap handle. Usually this can be done by lifting up a cover and removing the screw.
3. Unscrew the tap mechanism by turning it anti-clockwise. This will allow you to get to the tap washer on the bottom.
4. Remove the old tap washer. Find the right sized washer in your kit and replace. Some have a small screw to remove. The one pictured is a bayonet type.
5. Before you re-insert the tap mechanism check the the tap seat inside the main tap body is in good condition. Often a leaking tap can be caused by debris on the tap seat or a damadged seat itself. You don’t need to buy a whole new tap. Just purchase a tap re-seating tool. A really invaluable tool that can be used on all the taps in the house and can save you some money on new taps.